Skip to main content

Before You Say I Do


Small Groups with less than 10 members tend to really struggle if they meet on Sunday mornings. 

An open Small Group is a Small Group where people are not required to make an attendance commitment, and are open to prospects to visit at any time. 

These types of Small Groups usually meet on Sundays. 

It is not uncommon for the Children's Department to visit these Sunday classes and plead for adult help right now! 

I've seen 50% of the class get up during the class and run down to the children's department to work, leaving the class almost empty and the adult teacher frustrated. 

It is extremely discouraging for a facilitator to prepare a lesson, and then half of their class to be recruited as they start. 

It's also common for the other church's departments to recruit adults from their Sunday Small Groups, such as the Student's ministry. 

If you attend a church that is not continually encouraging their attenders to get involved in their Small Groups, expect your Small Group to struggle.

If you're being recruited to lead an Open Small Group on Sunday's ask...

1. How many people will I be leading?

2. What will my Church do to launch my Small Group?

3. How will my Church continue to promote my class to ensure a steady flow of prospects?

4. Does my Church know how to effectively grow a Small Group, and how will they mentor me to grow my Small Group?

5. Does my Church drain my class of members by recruiting them, but doesn't do anything to refill them?

6. Who can back fill me if I need to be out?

7. Does the Church offer any tools to help me stay in touch with my Small Group?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dan Dehaan's Metro Bible Study

In the late 1970s, I attended an interdenominational Bible Study called “the Metro Bible Study” in Metro Atlanta, which began as a Small Group in “Dad” Charles Ellis’ basement. It was taught by Dan Dehaan, and eventually outgrew Dad Ellis’ basement by moving to the Griffin Middle School.  When I first started attending, it had grown to 300 teenagers who meet ever Tuesday night and featured Contemporary Christian Music played by “The Pat Terry Group”.  As the Metro Bible Study continued rapid growth, they eventually moved to the First Baptist Church of Smyrna, Georgia where it peaked around 1200 attendees.  In the summer of 1982, Dan Dehaan died in a plane crash and teacher John Riley took over. Under John Riley, the Bible Study grew to about 1,500 after eventually moving to Mt. Paran Church of God. When I was first invited to the “Metro Bible Study”, I didn’t go to hear Dan Dehaan teach because I didn’t know who he was.  What I went to hear...

In Trouble?

What do we do in the middle of trouble? Do I trust God when I don't understand? That's the situation the captives found themselves in, and this was God's response. Jeremiah 29:4-11  (NLT) 4  This is what the Lord of Heaven’s Armies, the God of Israel, says to all the captives he has exiled to Babylon from Jerusalem: 5  “Build homes, and plan to stay. Plant gardens, and eat the food they produce.   6  Marry and have children. Then find spouses for them so that you may have many grandchildren. Multiply! Do not dwindle away!  7  And work for the peace and prosperity of the city where I sent you into exile. Pray to the Lord for it, for its welfare will determine your welfare.” 8  This is what the Lord of Heaven’s Armies, the God of Israel, says: “Do not let your prophets and fortune-tellers who are with you in the land of Babylon trick you. Do not listen to their dreams...

Remembering Names

In one of my previous jobs, I was required by my employer to attend a Dale Carnegie public speaking course. (See  www.dalecarnegie.com  for more information).   The class had about 40 to 50 attendees, and the instructor began the course by teaching us how to remember each other’s name.  After each person got up, they would tell us his or her name, where they worked, and what things they like to do. As each person spoke, we were supposed to remember each person, by associating their names by what they told us.   The first assignment of the class was to get up and say each person’s name from memory.  We had to remember from memory EVERYONE’S NAME!  As each attendee was called upon to stand up and say everyone’s name, it served as a review for everyone else in the class.  Amazingly, every attendee was about to quote everyone else’s name from memory including me.  To this day when I see someone from the cla...