Skip to main content

Dan Dehaan's Metro Bible Study


In the late 1970s, I attended an interdenominational Bible Study called “the Metro Bible Study” in Metro Atlanta, which began as a Small Group in “Dad” Charles Ellis’ basement.

It was taught by Dan Dehaan, and eventually outgrew Dad Ellis’ basement by moving to the Griffin Middle School. 

When I first started attending, it had grown to 300 teenagers who meet ever Tuesday night and featured Contemporary Christian Music played by “The Pat Terry Group”. 

As the Metro Bible Study continued rapid growth, they eventually moved to the First Baptist Church of Smyrna, Georgia where it peaked around 1200 attendees. 

In the summer of 1982, Dan Dehaan died in a plane crash and teacher John Riley took over.

Under John Riley, the Bible Study grew to about 1,500 after eventually moving to Mt. Paran Church of God.

When I was first invited to the “Metro Bible Study”, I didn’t go to hear Dan Dehaan teach because I didn’t know who he was. 

What I went to hear was “the Pat Terry Group” sing Contemporary Christian Music. 

At the time, Contemporary Christian Music wasn’t being sung in Churches, and people from every denomination came to hear Pat Terry play and Dan Dehaan teach. 

One of the teenagers who occasional came was Andy Stanley who was (and is) Dr. Charles Stanley’s son of the First Baptist of Atlanta. 

Andy now pastors one of the largest Churches in American, Northpoint Church in Alpharetta, Georgia. 

I think that the Metro Bible Study's style and Dan Dehaan teaching remains a catalyst even today through preachers like Andy.

In the early 80s, I was asked to lead an interdenominational Bible Study in a house with just 8 people. 

However, one of those 8 people played a guitar. We would meet on Tuesday nights, and we would worship with contemporary music for 30 minutes to an hour before I began to teach. 

To my surprise, the group took off, and within a few weeks we had grown into the 40s. 

That house was a little small, and the crowd overflowed into the adjacent rooms. Sadly, the size of that house contained the size of our Bible Study if I’d been smart I’d gotten a larger room. 

In addition to not moving to a larger house, I struggled to move from a discussion format to more of a lecture format. 

I believe that if I had learned how to transition better the group would have continued to grow.

If I wanted to plant a Church, I would pull my active Church attendees by Zip Codes to see where we should plant a Church. 

Second, I would determine from the Zip Codes if any geographically located areas would support a Small Group. 

Next, I would find out if anyone located in the Zip Code would be a good fit as a Small Group leader. 

Next, I would determine if anyone located in the Zip Code could successfully play the guitar and lead the music. 

Then, I would train the Small Group leader as both a Discussion Type Leader and a Lecture Style Leader. 

Then, I would have a plan for either subdividing the Small Group or finding larger space for the Small Group to eventually meet.

 Then, I would make sure that the Child Care was properly managed to prevent mishaps.

 Finally, I would invite Church members within that Zip Code to attend.

Comments

  1. Dan DeHaan was an incredible Bible teacher. He was a very positive influence in my life, as well as many others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    My husband and I would like to make contact with you. I can’t seem to find your identity in these blogs. Our first date was to metro Bible Study at Mt. Paran! I awoke this morning to the thought and prompting of the Holy Spirit that we we’re supposed to try and find John Riley so I googled his name and it took me to your blog on Dan Dehaan. In the middle of the pandemic God told us “ you’re not home”. As we began to pray he began to move and he led us to move to Birmingham, AL. Since moving here, we’ve been seeking answers on why we are here. We’ve been in private ministry for over 20 years. Metro Bible Study impacted us. We’re seeing a huge need here for young people who are single to be ministered to. Recently Metro Bible Study has come to mind several times. We’re just exploring ideas and seeking wisdom about God’s call to Birmingham. We can be reached at info@danandlydia.us. We would love to connect even if it’s just to reminisce about Metro Bible Study.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In Trouble?

What do we do in the middle of trouble? Do I trust God when I don't understand? That's the situation the captives found themselves in, and this was God's response. Jeremiah 29:4-11  (NLT) 4  This is what the Lord of Heaven’s Armies, the God of Israel, says to all the captives he has exiled to Babylon from Jerusalem: 5  “Build homes, and plan to stay. Plant gardens, and eat the food they produce.   6  Marry and have children. Then find spouses for them so that you may have many grandchildren. Multiply! Do not dwindle away!  7  And work for the peace and prosperity of the city where I sent you into exile. Pray to the Lord for it, for its welfare will determine your welfare.” 8  This is what the Lord of Heaven’s Armies, the God of Israel, says: “Do not let your prophets and fortune-tellers who are with you in the land of Babylon trick you. Do not listen to their dreams,  9  because they are telling you lies in my name. I

Is Your Faith Great?

Great faith respects God, His Word, and His People.  We have a big problem in our society for a lack of respect. Faith shows honor.   Matthew 8:5-13    (ESV) 5  When he had entered Capernaum, a centurion (An Ancient Roman Commander) came forward to him (Jesus), appealing to him,  6  “ Lord , my servant is lying paralyzed at home, suffering terribly.”   The Centurion showed Jesus respect by calling Him Lord.   He didn't tell Jesus what to do, but humbly asked.  The centurion understood that he was in charge as a Roman commander in the physical world, but in the spirit world, Jesus was the commander in the spirit world.  Great faith cannot be separated from great respect.    7  And he said to him,  “I will come and heal him.” If you don't respect Jesus, He will resist you, but if you humble yourself, He will come to your aid (James 4:6).   8  But the centurion replied, “Lord, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof , but  only say